Inflammation: Some Solutions
Inflammation is at the root of many of our major health issues today—rheumatoid arthritis, cancer, obesity, heart disease, and high blood pressure, to name a few. Several of the early signs of inflammation include:
- Sinus congestion
- Joint stiffness in the morning or after exercise
- Belly fat
- Bloating/water retention
- Irregular bowel habits
- Dark circles under the eyes
- Skin irritations
Inflammation is a healthy part of our body’s defense system when it is in control. However, when it takes over, as it has with the above diseases and symptoms, it can be very damaging to the body. So what are we to do?
- High fat and high sugar diets can cause the immune system to become overactive, which then leads to fatigue, pain, and damage to blood vessels. To counter that, eat a diet high in fresh vegetables. Try to fill half your plate with vegetables. Beets are a particularly helpful choice for reducing inflammation.
- Eat healthy fats. Extra virgin olive oil is a good choice. Olives and avocados, sunflower seeds, and nuts (especially almonds and walnuts) are also good sources.
- Add seafood to your diet twice a week. Tuna, herring, salmon, and sardines are all good sources of Omega 3 fatty acids. The best shellfish are mussels, oysters, and clams.
- Limit meats. Instead of a large steak, put a few pieces of steak on top of a salad. Make the veggies the main part of the meal and the meat the “side dish.”
- Add some vegetarian meals into your diet. Make beans, vegetables, and whole grains the important part of the meal instead of meat.
- Cook with anti-inflammatory herbs and seasonings such as ginger, tumeric, garlic, and onions.
- For dessert, substitute high sugar foods for fresh fruits. Berries are especially good, as they have anti-inflammatory properties, but any fruits are helpful.
- If you would like to jump-start your journey toward ridding your body of inflammation, a purification program may be the answer. The Standard Process 10-Day Purification Program guides you in choosing the best foods to eat and provides whole food and herbal supplements to assist in the cleansing process so you can return to an active, pain-free lifestyle. Benefits to this program include:
- A Symptoms Survey Form to be completed before and after the program to monitor your progress.
- Weight loss
- Better quality of sleep
- More energy
- Less joint pain
- Reduced cravings for poor quality food
Give our office a call at 864-963-9304 to see if this program would be appropriate for you!
You may also be interested in reading Inflammation: A Leading Cause in Weight Gain.