6 Tips for Sleeping Without Pain Tip #5: Prepare Yourself Before Going to Bed
Is there a way to prepare yourself for bed so that you don’t experience pain while sleeping? Yes, there are several steps you can take!
- Take a warm shower before retiring. Give the warm water time to run over the low back area. Try to do this no more than 10 minutes before you get to bed.
- Sometimes even when we lie down, our muscles are still tense unless we consciously release them. Take a few minutes to do some deep breathing in and out. Feel your body lengthen and widen as you breathe in.
- Some foods and drinks may stimulate your body and keep you awake longer. This can lead to greater risk of muscle spasm. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, especially before bed, and keep your late meals small.
- An analgesic cream, such as Biofreeze, rubbed on the areas of your back that tend to hurt can be very helpful.
- Too much bed rest can add to your pain. Physical activity within the parameters that your doctor recommends will help the body to heal naturally.
Are you sleeping better yet? Let us know what changes have helped you the most!
If you are still having issues, perhaps the mattress is the issue. Our last post in this series will deal with the mattress itself.