Running and the Benefit of Chiropractic Care
According to a 2016 study, over 64 million people in American either jog or run for exercise. This makes running one of the most popular forms of exercise. Running requires very little equipment, can be done almost anywhere at any time, and can be done solo or with others, which seems to contribute to its popularity.
No matter how much or how little running you do, there is a likelihood that at some point you may become injured. Although it is a great form of exercise, running can be hard on the joints, especially the ankles, knees and hips.
Chiropractic Benefit for Runners
When those injuries do occur, some ice and pain medications can be of help. A chiropractor can also be of assistance for you. Here are five ways that a chiropractor can help you.
1. A chiropractor brings ease through treatment to the soft tissues around the injured joints after a strain/sprain.
2. Chiropractic manipulation can be applied to joints of the extremities as well as the spine.
3. Chiropractic treatment helps the body to heal itself. The modalities that a chiropractor uses will break up restrictions and increase blood flow to the injured area. Sometimes treating one area of the body actually stimulates the healing in another area.
4. A chiropractor’s work reduces the length and severity of pain and helps you to manage the pain that persists. Patients are able to reduce or eliminate pain medications after treatment.
5. Injuries often happen because something wasn’t just right in the body to begin with. Preventative chiropractic care will help to ensure that the body is in proper alignment so that re-injury doesn’t occur.
Running, whether you do it for weight control, stress relief, or just fun, is a great form of exercise. Hopefully you will never sustain any injuries while you are running. The best way to reduce the chances of injury is to be sure you are wearing the proper shoes, be sure to stretch before you begin, and see a chiropractor to keep your body in proper alignment and functioning optimally.
If you have any questions about how chiropractic care can help you to recover from injury or avoid injury in the first place, please give us a call or schedule a free consultation. We would be happy to talk with you.