Have you overeaten or eaten more than you intended to over the past few days/weeks? If so, here are a few good foods to help get your body back to normal and feeling better quickly.
- Yogurt. In our gut we have “good” bacteria that help to digest food and “bad” bacteria that can potentially be harmful. When we eat poorly, the “bad” bacteria can overtake the “good” bacteria. Eating yogurt helps to put “good” bacteria in our gut to counteract the “bad.” This will help to prevent gas and diarrhea.
- Ginger. Ginger stimulates the production of saliva, bile, and gastric enzymes. These keep food moving from your stomach through to your small intestines to reduce gas production. One of the best ways to get ginger is to make a cup of ginger tea. It is also good in salads and smoothies.
- Salmon. The Omega 3s are good for your heart, which can be stressed with an unusual diet. The protein in salmon helps to stabilize blood sugar and may prevent blood sugar spikes after a meal that is overloaded with carbs.
- Nuts. Several types of nuts are good for the heart. Almonds and walnuts are some of the best. The Vitamin E in nuts also protects the arteries.
- Bananas. Much holiday food is loaded with sodium. Bananas will help to lower blood pressure which can rise after a sodium-rich meal.
- Green Tea. The flavonoids in green tea assist in lowering LDL, the “bad” cholesterol and also help to get high blood pressure back to normal.
- Spinach. The Vitamin B2 in spinach helps to metabolize fat. Our bodies have to work hard after a binge; B2 gives our body a boost. The vitamins in spinach also fight disease and infection which can develop as a result of being around large groups of people. Spinach is best either raw or lightly steamed.
- Water. Last but not least, is water. This liquid is better than anything else in flushing out your system after overeating. It aids in digesting food and softens stools to keep things moving along. If you are suffering from indigestion, try using seltzer water for the calming effect of the fizz.
We wish you a wonderful holiday season. Hopefully these ideas will make it even better!