One-Ingredient Ice Cream
It has been a hot summer so far! So a cold dessert sure hits the spot–and you can get one without sacrificing your health. A very quick and easy ice cream can be made from only one ingredient: bananas!
How to Make Banana Ice Cream
Get some bananas which are ripe enough to be sweet. Cut them into slices and freeze overnight, or at least 4 hours. Take them out and put them into a food processor. It will take a bit, so be patient. It will go through stages: crumbly, then gooey, then smooth but with chunks in it. Periodically scrape down the food processor. Eventually the chunks will smooth out, and you will end up with a rich, creamy ice cream.
This dessert can be eaten right away, but it will be soft. If you prefer your ice cream more solid, transfer it to an airtight container and put it in the freezer until it firms up.
For Some Variety:
This basic recipe can be spiced up by adding other ingredients to change the flavor. Here are a few ideas:
Toward the end of the blending of the ice cream, add in one of these:
- A tablespoon or so of peanut butter or Nutella.
- Some chopped almonds or other nuts.
- ½ tsp. cinnamon, cardamom, or ginger.
- Honey (Or combine peanut butter and honey)
- Frozen strawberries, peaches, or other fruit. (You can also add more fruit on top.)
- 2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder per banana and ¾ tsp. of vanilla.
We hope you enjoy your summer. Let us know your favorite “flavor” of ice cream!