Your Super Bowl Party Food “Playbook”
The Super Bowl is soon upon us, and no matter which team you are rooting for, you can enjoy the party without missing the goal of your healthy eating plans. Even if you are a rookie to healthy eating, here is a game plan that is sure to win the eating game for you Sunday night.
- Kick off the afternoon with some exercise to get you in a health-conscious state of mind.
- Your opponent is the high-fat pizza, the greasy chicken wings slathered with sauce, and the nachos dripping with cheese. Don’t get tackled by them.
- Take and offensive approach and scout out the table before you fill your plate. Look for the nutritious foods such as the veggie tray, fruits, nuts, or salads.
- On your first down (first trip to the snack table), be sure to load up on healthy foods that are also filling so you will be less tempted to eat more later.
- Don’t huddle around the snack table. Get your food and then move away.
- Call a time out before going back for seconds. Give yourself time to assess whether or not you are still actually hungry. When everyone around you is eating, it is a whole lot easier to eat just to be sociable, even though you have had all the food your body needs.
- Don’t end up with a flag on the play. Calories in drinks can add up more quickly than you realize, especially when there are salty foods on the menu. Alcohol will also affect decision-making and cause you to overeat.
- Throw a pass on the desserts. At most parties there will not be anything on the dessert table that will help you in your health goals.
Use these strategies in your food game plan to help you win a victory at the Super Bowl snack table this year!