Functional Medicine: What Is It?
A 49-year-old man was experiencing cramps, high blood pressure, fatigue, anxiety, and had trouble sleeping. He went to the doctor and had the routine blood work done. Everything came back normal. Since he was not able to find a good solution to the symptoms he was experiencing, he chose to try the principles of Functional Medicine. The practitioner had lab work done. This showed his unique biomarkers which revealed the deficiencies in the major systems of his body.
His Functional Medicine report showed that his body needed more magnesium than the average person. After seeing the results, he increased his magnesium intake. Within just a few days, his fatigue had vanished. The dark circles under his eyes were gone. His blood pressure readings were lower. He began to see his blood sugar stabilizing. With these changes, he felt much better in just a short time.
Each one of us is as different as our fingerprints. We each have unique biochemical characteristics. Two people can experience the same symptoms, but it may be different imbalances in their bodies which are contributing to those symptoms. Using Functional Medicine is like listening to your body talk directly to you. It helps you to find the deficiencies in your body that you need to bring it back to full health.
5 Basic Principles of Functional Medicine
- Each one of us is a unique individual. This includes our genetic makeup as well as biochemical makeup. Functional Medicine treats the individual, not the disease.
- FM is science based. Science is learning that each system of the body is interconnected with every other system. By viewing the various systems as an integrated whole, FM recognizes that a symptom in one part of the body may be a manifestation of an underlying issue in another part.
- Your body has an innate intelligence. Once any interference is eliminated, your body has the ability to regulate and balance all of its systems.
- Your body has the ability to heal and prevent most of the diseases of aging.
- Health is more than absence of disease; it is a state of immense vitality.
Mainstream medicine is trained to diagnose and then find medications to match the disease. The goal of Functional Medicine is to help patients with chronic illnesses find the most effective options with the fewest side effects. We work to find the root cause of your symptoms or disease and use holistic or alternative medicine approaches to help you reach optimal functioning.
Call us at 864-963-9304 for a free consultation today.
Photo courtesy of Pineapple Supply Company on Unsplash